We now find ourselves transitioning to our cozy, sweater clad days of fall with the frosty allure of winter just right behind it. While these seasons bring about brisk winds, cold temperatures, rain and snow; it also brings a sense of comfort, joy and nostalgia. As the temperatures drop, I find that it gets harder and harder to find the motivation to move, workout and get physical exercise. If you’re anything like me, this is the curl up on the couch and read or watch Netflix kind of weather; not lacing up the go out for a run or to the gym! These lackadaisical feelings make it especially difficult to get up and out.
So here’s my proposal, if you can’t find it within yourself to exercise your body; then give your skin a boost in this season and exercise consistency in your skincare routine! This time of year can wreak havoc on your skin, leaving it feeling dry, irritated, and less than its radiant best. I’m showing you some products I’m currently using that should help in maintaining that coveted healthy and glowing complexion, even when the weather outside might be less than forgiving. So as you cozy up by the fireplace and cuddle up in the coziest of blankets, let's embark on a journey to protect and pamper your skin, ensuring it remains beautiful, resilient, and radiantly healthy throughout the fall and winter seasons.
1. Chidoriya: Pure Silk and Rice Bran Face Wash: A recent addition to my collection, this face wash has been quickly becoming a favorite. This face wash includes all natural vegetable oils and pure rice bran that packs this product with fibers, minerals, iron, starch, sugar, magnesium, calcium, Vitamin B1 and B2 and Vitamin D. These all help to remove dead skin cells, prevent skin blemishes and irritations and retain moisture. The product comes as a bar and is 2 ounces. I have been loving how clean my face feels without feeling stripped of all moisture. But don’t just take it from me, a few celebrities have even endorsed this face wash including Liv Tyler! (The link for this product can be found at the end of the blog.)
2. Young Living: Frankincense essential oil: This has become a staple in my skincare regimen. I will add a drop or two of Frankincense to any of my skincare products as I apply them. Frankincense essential oil has so many benefits, but not many use it topically on the face, neck and chest areas. Using this oil has been shown to restore the epidermis of the skin, soothe and nourish the skin (especially from sunburns, rosacea and breakouts), minimize wrinkles/fine lines and reduce the appearance of blemishes. Not to mention its cell renewing properties.
3. Leahlani: Siren Brightening Serum: Yet another recent addition to my collection, this serum feels amazing when you put it on and my skin looks amazing the morning after. This company is based out of Kauai and is formulated by holistic skincare expert, licensed esthetician, and botanical alchemist. By using botanicals, vibrant fruit nectars, and lush tropical oils and contain no synthetics; these products immediately transport you to the beautiful Hawaiian islands and bring glowing, dewy skin. This product in particular uses a variety of ingredients to help brighten skin, invigorate cellular regeneration, even skin tone and reduce the appearance of scarring. A lovely addition to any skincare regimen!
4. Farmacy: Honey Halo Ceramide Moisturizer:
The beauty and skincare world is currently
flooded with products that utilize ceramides. And for good reason! Ceramides are fats or lipids that are found in the epidermis and make up 30-40% of the skin. They are responsible for locking in your skin's moisture and preventing the entry of bacteria into the body. This is the perfect product to use in this cold season as it helps moisturize and strengthen the protective barrier from external aggressors (ie. weather). I have been using this daily and have been loving the results. It has been incredibly moisturizing without feeling thick, clumpy or overpowering.
5. Japanese Face Tape: I discovered this on instagram of all places! I have been toying with the idea of doing botox to reduce some minor wrinkle lines I’ve developed, but wasn't entirely sure I wanted to commit to it quite yet. It was around that time I found an instagram account that uses face tape as an alternative to botox or even surgery. With your purchase of the face tape is a QR code that has a tutorial of how to measure, cut and place tape for all the different areas of the face, neck and chest. I decided to give it a try and feel that I have already noticed a difference in smoothing out some of the fine lines that have been bothering me. (The link for this product can be found at the end of the blog.) This one is more of a commitment, as results come gradually over time, but in my opinion, worth it a try!
6. Gua sha: Face tools have become an incredibly popular trend. Either face rollers or gua shas. I have noticed better results when using the gua sha so I use this exclusively these days. Using a gua sha can help promote blood circulation and lymphatic drainage, relieve muscle tension and help improve fine lines and wrinkles. This tool is usually made of jade and you can use it after applying your face serum to help the tool move more smoothly around your face. (For a little more in depth information about gua shas, please see the link below.) A must have, in my opinion.
7. Yuka App: I like to use products that are clean and healthy for my skin and overall
health. But it’s so hard when you’re at the store trying to decide what to get and read labels without spending an eternity in the aisle. The Yuka app makes it so easy. All you need to do is scan the barcode on the product you’re looking at and it will give the product a “rating”. The closer the number is to 100, the better. The app will assess the ingredients a product contains and create a rating based on the effects the ingredients have on health such as endocrine disruptors, allergens, irritants and carcinogens. It’s free to download and use, but if you want the ability to look up a product instead of scanning the barcode, you will need to pay for it. Luckily, the yearly subscription is only $8-9! This has been such a great tool when looking at new skincare products to determine if it is clean and healthy to use.
These are some of the products and tools I am currently loving and hope that they either make their way into your routine or inspire you to get your skin in shape in this season. As the seasons change and we take on the fall and winter months, it becomes even more evident that our skin deserves the utmost care and attention. Your skin, the body's largest organ, is a resilient canvas that reflects not just the passing seasons but also the love and care you invest in it. By adopting a thoughtful skincare routine tailored to the unique challenges of fall and winter, you're not just preventing dryness and irritation – you're nurturing a healthy relationship with your skin. The glow you radiate isn't just a result of well-chosen products; it's a testament to the self-care rituals you've embraced. So workout a skincare regimen that works best for you, now is the time!
And that’s the dirt!